Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Digital Tool: e-mail

Email @
I have unfortunately overlooked the digital tool of email. In my research and review for my synopsis of collaboration between peers, I received an email from a colleague which had hyperlinks to a website that I found interesting and relevant to the work I am doing with students at the moment within the school. I also realised that on a daily basis my inbox is filled with emails from other people in my life who either have information for me, or are asking me for information that I have knowledge of or may be able to locate for them. Thus I am part of the information flow within an organisation. As Siemens (2004) states in his article on Connectivism "Information flow within an organisation is an important element in organisational effectiveness. In a knowledge economy, the flow of information is the equivalent of the oil pipe in an industrial economy." (http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm )
Email or electronic mail is a method of exchanging digital messages through either the internet or intranet (of an organisation). Emails were originally a text only form of message, however with the advancement of technology emails can contain pictures, photos, digital enhancement, hyperlinks, and they are not only used for work related purposes but sit alongside a residential address and phone number as a location to contact someone. Email has quickly developed from a work or business digital tool into a social networking tool that supports and feeds the 'cycle of knowledge development' (Siemens 2004). Just as business letters and personal letters of correspondence once (and still do) have different forms of etiquette, the use of emails for both business and social correspondence has developed 'netiquette' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette) which are the core rules of sending and receiving emails. The netiquette also relates to other digital areas including blogs, wikis, and forums, where people are interacting with each other using information technology.
PLUS
  1. Emails are now an accepted form of correspondence in work and social life.
  2. Emails are a quick and easy way to send receive information via the internet.
  3. Emails are a collaborative tool and work as a communication backbone for activities within a school, or business (knowledge economy).
  4. Emails as a form of communication have their own rule which should be taught to students as part of their 'digital' learning.
  5. Emails open up information from around the world.
  6. Emails are an integral part of social development of the students, and will form the basis for collaboration skills within the school and beyond into lifelong learning.

MINUS

  1. There is limited control over who sends what information to whom.
  2. Just because it was sent in an email - does not mean that the information is correct. Sources still need to be checked and verified.
  3. Caution is required when defining business or social emails to others or colleagues. These skills will form part of the 'netiquette' learning with students.

INTERESTING IMPROVE IMPLEMENT

The techniques of sending and receiving emails should form part of the curriculum in the early years of schooling. Once a student has developed their 'how to' knowledge in this area emailing can then move on from a declarative knowledge to a procedural knowledge skill with students using email as a collaborative tool. As with all knowledge development though, prior knowledge of email as a digital tool should not be assumed as Thrupp (2009) (http://moodle.cqu.edu.au/file.php/4033/ThruppAcec.pdf) identified, not all students are "digitally active", and for whatever reason social, cultural, religious, do not have access or use digital technology at all (including televisions) in their home or social environment.

To establish 'prior knowledge' of email, I would use it as an introduction tool for a new class at the beginning of a year. I would randomly choose students names (linking them to non-peers), they would have to emails to at least two people (with a cc to the teacher) in the class and relate how and when they have emailed previously and do a PMI style analysis of emailing. For younger students, I would encourage the modelling of a (one) class email to other teachers or people within the school to ask a question or gain information. (eg class email to teacher librarian if the have a series of books available for lending).

WHAT I THINK

I am still disappointed in myself for not recognising email as an essential 'digital tool'. In realising this though, it has made me aware of the need to ascertain students 'prior knowledge' of digital skills, and not assume their understanding or knowledge. I love email. I use it at work (school), at home, and for on-line study purposes. Because I am a 'time poor' person, I use email to connect with colleagues, family and friends at any time of the day or night, or when it suits me. Whilst some of the 'social' emails that I receive are merely text, some include interesting information or humour which someone somewhere has thought to send to me. To help our students develop social skills through collaboration, emails and emailing are an essential skill for future work prospects and definitely a required procedural skill for further study beyond high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment