Friday, July 16, 2010

Learning Style



This diagram is the result of an online questionaire from http://www.learning-styles-online.com/inventory/ where I answered some specific 'closed' questions to identify my learning style. Looking at the diagram, from my point of view, it indicates that I am strongest in my solitary and physical areas. This is interesting as I work as an Educational Interpreteur and use Auslan (Sign Language) as a form of communication. I also work one to one with the student and although we are part of a class, it is a solitary working experience. I also study (by flex) by myself. According to the website http://www.learning-styles-online.com/inventory/ the learning styles are defined as:

Physical (kinesthetic): You prefer using your body, hands and sense of touch.

Solitary (intrapersonal): You prefer to work alone and use self-study.


Interestingly when I first completed a similar test three years ago, my learning style indicated that I was a visual learner. Although it is still one of my strengths, it didn't record highly this time. My opinion is that I haven't changed my learning styles, I know that I am still a visual learner, however, my strengths in the physical and solitary have increased simply because of the style of work and study that I am now involved in. This would indicate then that although the graph indicates one thing, I am aware of the changes and differences in my life that have implicated the change. As an LM I would need to be aware of these considerations when teaching a class of students.

In a traditional classroom, I would look to use all these learning styles across the curriculum. I believe that exposure to different 'experiences' through different 'learning styles' would not only allow students to learn in their preferred way, but would also help to strengthen their other areas.

Examples of incorporating these learning styles using digital pedagogy include:

Visual: Interactive Whiteboard (IWB) for images, graphs, mindmaps, youtube, powerpoints.

Aural: Video clips, music, songs downloaded onto i-pods or mp3's.

Verbal: Recordings of notes on laptops or i-pod, Marvin program, scanning stories, storybook weaver.

Physical: Videoing or photographing projects or activities, claymation, cartooning, wii games, i-pod or i-pad, computer keyboard activities.

Logical: Games and activities using learning objects on TLF (The Learning Federation), interactive games specific to KLA.

Social: Group challenges or investigations using ICT rotation for research on computers, i-pods, IWB.

Solitary: Quiet area for access to review of class activities or undertake own challenge or self discovery. 100 question challenge using research on internet. Research information for homework. Access to teaching blog for submitting ideas or review of lesson. E-mail options for homework.


WHAT I THINK:

Plus: Teaching to individual learning styles in an 'effective teaching' strategy. To be an 'effective teacher' one must first recognise and understand these styles in their own learning and teaching before trying to program them for students.

Minus: In a large class it can be difficult at times to include all styles in all activities. It can be time consuming to prepare resources and activities to benefit all students all of the time. It also may take time to get to know individual students and what their particular strength is.

Interesting Improve Implement: As a beginner LM it may take time to gather 'resources' and to identify what is suitable for when and why. This would be when it would be effective to talk to other teachers who have taught the students beforehand and gain from their experience. Review of student portfolios and talking to and observing students whilst they are working may also help to quicken the understanding process for an LM. This is definately an Implement strategy that is a basic of teaching. To be an effective teacher, you must consider 'learning styles' if you want your students to succeed and learn. It is the 'yeast' of the teaching recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment